Thursday, September 8, 2011

When in the Hell?

When in the Hell do I practice?
Simple enough question eh? Doesnt sound so complicated at first. To do yoga, you need two things, your body and air to breath. THATS IT. I do not even OWN a yoga mat actually. Still saving up for that one... Now its not the yoga or food conundrum, its a surf board or yoga mat one. Im happy for the upgrade, But since I can do yoga where ever, when ever, Ive been saving for the board more feverishly.

As i develop in my practice i learn these kinds of details, like timing, very slowly and usually the hard way. They dont give you an instruction manual when you start... I requested a change in procedure, but its about the journey and these discoveries apparently are normal and should be embraced. No such Manuel was given... Just a pat on the back and understanding smile. Im learning to love these moments, but it hasnt really been that way up to this point.

There are three major times in a month that i do not practice yoga... So, six days a week, minus:

1) Shabbat. Saturdays are not just a holy day for jews apparently... In ashtanga yoga traditions, Saturday is the day of rest too! ha, maybe there is some ancient wisdom there???

2)Full/New moons: So this actually happens twice in a month. When the moon is at its fullest, there is too much energy floating around, its harder to focus the energy and easier to get hurt. Im sure you've felt what i mean, a little crazy at the full moon... ;) The new moon is the exact opposite, too little energy, making it easier to get hurt as well.

3) "the ladies holiday"...
I had been in yoga just about one month when my period came. Like a lot of single women, i was grateful, and annoyed all at once. I just wanted to ignore it and go on with the rest of my life. I went to yoga and about ten minutes in had a totally emotional break down. My teacher came to make a simple and gentle correction and i just BURST into tears. "IM ON MY PERIOD!! BAHAHAA"...
She just smiled and laughed, "ah, well thats why you are having trouble! Sit down, no practice on your period!" Rest, sit, stretch, meditate, but not practice.
So I sat there and cried a little bit more. I was so shocked, "GREAT, ONE MORE THING I CANT DO ON MY PERIOD!!" I was kind of pissed. I said after class that day, "When in the hell am i supposed to practice then?!! I only get three weeks out of the month?!" Come on! She explained to me that yoga is about pulling your energy up and in, your period is about pushing it out... best not to go against your bodies ancient wisdom I suppose...
My yoga practice has been about integrating all the parts of me. And my reproductive cycle is no different. I cant ignore it in yoga. I can bitch about it until I am blue in the face, but something is there to learn from. Im starting to come around to accepting my period a little bit more now... starting. Maybe one day ill be able to actually embrace it! Im more gentle with my body now, and i try to take the time to listen to my heart especially at this time.
Some days with all these time 'restrictions', I wonder when ill ever practice. Other days, I triple check the calendar, just in case i might get a day off...

One thing is for sure, Im damn well aware now of the cycles all around me... and in me. And sometimes my crazy is just a little more understandable... Ill blame it on the moon!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment