Friday, October 7, 2011

The Primary Series

Ashtanga Yoga is made up of thousands of different postures, or ASANAs in yogini speak. In the tradition that i follow and practice, each pose is memorized and built upon each other. Its a little bit like a REALLY long, never ending dance routine... dancing with yourself, for yourself.
For the basic practitioner there are six major "series" or groups of asanas. I am working on the first series. My teacher told me recently that I might be ready in about a year to move onto the second series. I am in it for the long haul I guess... ;)
Here is the first series in picture. I have almost memorized the sequence of poses, but that is JUST when the mastery begins!


koreayoga.com
I don't know any more if this looks easy or hard... haha. It looks so small and simple from this perspective, but each pose plus the daily, silly dramas of life and all the excuses I make in my head.... makes this primary series quite a mountain for me...



No comments:

Post a Comment